Frequently asked questions(EMS)
Cool EMS service
Cool EMS service
Declaration form for certification of Cool EMS items needed for items sent to Hong Kong and Vietnam
- Q. Is the declaration form for certification of Cool EMS items different from the certificate of origin? Where can I get it?
- A certificate of origin is issued by a recognized issuing body in an exporting country. The declaration form for certification of Cool EMS items is a form provided by Japan Post. Please visit our Cool EMS website and download it.
- What should I write in the field of "Original Prefecture" if the contents have been made in other countries?
- Please write the name of the country where it was made.
- Do I need to attach an official document issued by the Chamber of Commerce or other authorities?
- There are four types of certification. If you choose (a), please attach the official document.
- Do I need to get the certificate from a producer when I send items bought at a supermarket?
- It is not necessary. If you choose (b) as the type of certificate, please attach the certificate from the producer. The other easy ways are (c) or (d). For (c), you can check the origin on the label listing the ingredients. For (d), you can check the origin when you buy the items.
- I want to send multiple Cool EMS items to the same addressee. Can I do it with one EMS label? I will put all the information on the label.
- We are sorry for your inconvenience, but please prepare a label for each item.
- I want to send multiple Cool EMS items to the same addressee. Can I do it with one invoice? I will put all the information on the invoice.
- We are sorry for your inconvenience, but please prepare an invoice for each item.
- I want to send ice cream that needs to be kept below -18℃. Can you guarantee it ?
- We are sorry for your inconvenience, but the temperature of Frozen type Cool EMS is kept below -15℃ We can not guarantee -18℃.
- How can I request pickup?
- For a Cool EMS item, a post office clerk will contact you on the next day following the application deadline. Please ask about pickup at that time. Please note that there are some post offices that accept Cool EMS items only at the counter. For details, please see the list of post offices handling Cool EMS service.
- Can I send items that don't require temperature control such as clothes and letters together with chilled or frozen items when using Cool EMS service?
- Even though items don't require temperature control, they will be delivered in a special cool box. Therefore, the items may freeze or get wet by condensation. We recommend that you do not send such items via Cool EMS service for this reason.
- Can you accept an item even if I do not refrigerate it?
- No, we cannot. Please refrigerate your items for at least 6 hours under 10 degrees C for the Chilled type and for at least 12 hours under minus 15 degrees C for the Frozen type before shipping them.
- Do I need to prepare dry ice?
- We use special refrigerants for Cool EMS, so you do not need to prepare other refrigerants. Please note that dry ice falls under the category of dangerous goods in airmail, so we cannot accept it.
- Can I send an item without packing it?
- Please pack your item in a cardboard box or other proper materials. The item will be transported in a cool box to the address, removed from the box, and handed over to the addressee. The cool box will be returned to the post office.
- Can I send an item in a paper bag?
- Please note that the item will be transported in a cool box, removed from the box, and handed over to the addressee. The item should be packed sufficiently for protection during transport and delivery.
- Can I put an item in a styrofoam box?
- A styrofoam box has an insulating effect, so it may weaken the cooling function of the special box and refrigerants. Therefore, please refrain from using a Styrofoam box when using Cool EMS service.
- Can I send an item via Cool EMS tomorrow?
- We are sorry for your inconvenience, but we accept Cool EMS items only on Monday or Tuesday due to the operational flow. The acceptance day differs depending on the post office, so please check the list of post offices handling Cool EMS service. Please also note that you need to send an application form to a post office via fax before noon five days in advance. If the acceptance day of the post office is Monday, you need to send a ｆax before noon of the previous Wednesday, and if the acceptance day is Tuesday, you need to send a fax before noon of the previous Thursday.
- How long does it take to deliver a Cool EMS item?
- Except for irregular cases such as a natural disaster or the delay in customs clearance, the item will be delivered on Tuesday in principle at the destination. Therefore, if you send the item on Monday, the delivery time is 4 days including the day of sending. If you send the item on Tuesday, the delivery time is 3 days including the day of sending at shortest.
- The item was held in the customs at the destination, and a duty was imposed. I have sent the same contents in the past and this never happened. Can you compensate for this?
- We are sorry for your inconvenience, but we cannot compensate for the duty.
- I don't need delivery service. Can I go to a post office to pick up the item?
- It depends on the country and territory. Please ask us in advance.
- I'm not sure if the addressee can accept the item, but can I use Cool EMS service?
- For easy delivery, we recommend that you confirm this with the addressee before sending your item.
- Can I send a Cool EMS item to a local hotel?
- There have been some cases that hotels refused to accept Cool EMS items, so please ask the hotel in advance. In addition, please note that for some items, a local residence is required to get import permission in advance.
- We want to transport the item to another location after the addressee receives it. Can we borrow the cool box for the that purpose?
- We are sorry for your inconvenience, but we cannot lend the cool box. The box will be brought to the post office following delivery.
- What happens if the Cool EMS item cannot be delivered on the scheduled day?
- If the delivery is unsuccessful, the local postal operator keeps the item in a cool, dark place. They ask the addressee about how they should deal with the item.
- Can I send a Cool EMS item from abroad?
- We are sorry for your inconvenience, but we only offer Cool EMS service from Japan to overseas destinations.