How to Use
Nonmailable Articles in International Mail
Please note that laws/provisions prohibit certain articles sent by international mail.
Please note that the items that are considered to be dangerous for air transfer under the "Dangerous Goods Regulations" by International Air Transport Association (IATA) cannot be posted regardless of the mail type (Mail Post, Small Parcel, EMS) or posting method (Airmail, SAL, Sea Mai).
Announcement Regarding Dangerous Goods in Airmail (PDF704kB) (Japanese Version Only)
Regarding Lithium Batteries (PDF163kB)
Also, the destination country may also restrict certain articles to be sent.
- Before posting an item, please ensure that it contains no dangerous items, or anything that falls under "Items that cannot be sent as international mail."
- Received mail will have its contents inspected by X-ray or the like, and anything that is prohibited from being sent as international mail may be returned to sender without being sent overseas.
Articles prohibited to be sent by mail
|Category||Sub-category||Examples of Nonmailable Articles|
|Explosives and hazardous materials||Gunpowers||Fireworks, firecrackers, ammunitions|
|Flammable liquids||Lighter fuel, paint|
|Compressed gasses||Fire extinguishers, aqualungs, dust removers (spray type), portable condensed oxygen, helium gas, gas stove burners for camping, gas for portable stoves, gas for lighters|
|Flammable materials||Matches, lighters|
|Oxidizers||Bleach, peroxidative agents, oxygen generators for personal use|
|Oxidizers||Chloroform, insecticide transpirators (heat type)|
|Poisonous substances||Mercury, batteries|
|Radioactive substances||Plutonium, radium, uranium, caesium|
|Narcotics||Narcotics and psychotropic substances|
|Live animals||Live animals|
|Pornographic materials||Pornographic or immoral materials|
For details, please consult the following:
- Articles Prohibited under the Universal Postal Convention and Other Such Regulations More
- Articles Prohibited to be Mailed by Postal Law More
Hazardous Materials Prohibited in International Mail
- Flammable Liquids
- Flammable solids, pyrophoric materials, materials that generate flammable gas upon contact with water
- Oxidizers and Organic Peroxide
- Poisonous or Contagious Substances
- Radioactive Substances
- Corrosive Substances
- Other harmful substances and goods that contain environmental toxins
Valuables (only for EMS)
- coins, banknotes, paper money
- securities of any kind payable to the bearer, traveler’s checks
- processed or unprocessed platinum, gold or silver, precious stones and other valuables